Via Nova’s Priority to Positive® approach brings Positive Reinforcement (R+) Training to the traditional horse world.
We’ve developed 5 Core Principles as a guide for equestrians in the sometimes unfamiliar terrain of using positive reinforcement (R+) in a practical way. These principles are not a “how-to” but rather your mental map to a new way of thinking about training and communicating with your horse. If things aren’t going quite as you expected, use these principles to shed light on your path.
- Understand Motivation: Desire vs. Avoidance
- Look for Your “YES!”: Flip your negative mindset
- Create Opportunity: Use the positive reinforcement tools that your horse wants to learn
- Shape toward What You Want: Thin slices and building blocks
- Set up for Success: It’s not cheating to make it easy