Via Nova Training is hiring! For more information about job opportunities or to apply for an available position, please contact us at the email at the end of each job description. We look forward to hearing from you.
Student “Priority to Positive®” (PtP) Trainer
Are you looking for more than just “a job working with horses”? Are you dedicated to a career as a professional teacher, coach, or trainer? Do you want to enhance your professional value by developing specialized expertise in an area of rapidly expanding demand?
Experience incredible rewards while participating in a true revolution in equine training and welfare. Be one of the pioneers in bringing Positive Reinforcement Training (R+) to the traditional equestrian world.
This paid work-based learning position will give you a uniquely valuable horse training education, leading to the ability to teach others the concepts and skills of our Priority to Positive® program. It is a position for an applicant dedicated to a professional career in the equestrian industry.
Full-time hourly employee position at our 50-acre facility, Terra Nova Equestrian Training Center, Lamy, NM, located 20 minutes from the plaza in historic Santa Fe.
- *Commitment to, or already pursuing, a professional career in horse training, coaching, and teaching.* This is a requirement for this student position.
- Extensive riding experience in a traditional equestrian discipline, including riding green and inexperienced horses.
- Soft, competent rider—video or in-person assessment of riding skills will be part of the application process.
- High level of horsemanship.
- Prefer a candidate with at least 2 years of experience grooming, riding, and/or teaching for a professional barn; or a graduate of formal equestrian training equivalent to BHS or equestrian college degree.
- Because of the varied nature of the equestrian industry, we are open to other horsemanship backgrounds.
- Along with equestrian job experience or teaching and educational experience, competition record is a plus.
- Ability to engage in a relaxed and open manner with other equestrians
- Friendly, excellent communication and interpersonal skills with co-workers and the general public
- Open-minded and non-judgmental regarding equestrian training methods
- Eager to learn and practice new training concepts
- Engaged and open in groups, interested in problem-solving and helping others
- Capable and eager to learn skills to give presentations and horse-training demos to large groups
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Ability to fill a physically active, athletic position. Physical requirements:
- Ability to stand, except at breaks, lift at least 35 lbs, and walk up to 5 miles per day
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to groom, tack, and ride at least 3 horses at the walk, trot, and canter for up to 1 hour, per day.
- Excellent multi-tasking abilities
- Basic math and competent reading and writing skills
- At least 21 years of age
- Driver’s license and personal transportation
- Fluent English-speaker
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Smoking is strictly prohibited on the premises at all times
- COVID-19 vaccination is required for all vaccine-eligible employees
Job description: Entry level – minimum 1-year commitment
- Focus on learning how to train horses using Positive Reinforcement methods and our “Priority to Positive®” principles, being a training partner and taking on foundation training, assisting, and teaching in a student role
- Participate in our onboarding and classroom program as Student PtP Trainer, show mastery of the material, and move up curriculum levels
- Under direction, assume responsibility for one or more horses for exercise and management
- Under direction, participate in positive reinforcement training and develop and execute training plans and Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for assigned horses
- Be a daily training partner for other PtP trainers, including taking video
- Submit daily logs and other training and curriculum records as required
- Video uploading and tagging
- Participate in organizing, and assist in managing and teaching workshops and clinics, including working on weekends and holidays
- Other tasks as assigned, including regular rotation for Night Check, small animal feeding, etc.
- Occasional travel for workshops, clinics, and shows, including weekends and holidays
- Occasionally produce approved social media content
Job ladder to:
- Assistant PtP Trainer (able to teach others on behalf of Via Nova Training)
- PtP Trainer and Coach (able to teach others on your own)
- Initial compensation based on equestrian skills and experience and fit for the position
- Health Insurance
Perks of Student position:
- Board for 1 horse, provided permission is given to make use of that horse in the Via Nova Training program
- Expenses paid for approved educational seminars, workshops, events, and conferences related to horse training and competition, both remote and in-person
- Option for weekly dressage and/or eventing lessons and coaching as time is available
Please email a cover letter with your resume, including your equestrian background, or a cover letter with a complete description of your equestrian background. Equestrian background should include the following:
- Dates of when significant riding experience began
- Any horse ownership, amateur experience
- Previous trainers or coaches
- Participation in equestrian competition
- Participation in programs such as Pony Club, BHS, and any other equestrian workshops, clinics, and certifications–order by date and location)
Application email: Recruiting@ViaNovaTraining.com.
Please note: For this student position, we are searching for a resilient, open, and adaptive personality for a career of successfully teaching others. Our hiring process for the final tier candidate will include a work style assessment which consists of an online personality survey, cognitive testing, and a remote interview with a licensed organizational psychologist. Final-tier candidates can expect to spend approximately 3 additional interview hours and 3 additional assessment hours in this part of our evaluation process. The results of this assessment will be available to the candidates. All training staff at Via Nova have participated in this assessment and found it illuminating and helpful to our overall career development.
Via Nova is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and do not permit any discrimination against boarders, riders, employees, or participants on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability, or any other status protected by applicable law or statute in any of our policies or programs.